The Department of Printing Technology is the pioneer of printing education is Nigeria, and has contributed immensely to the technical manpower for the need of the printing industry in the country. The Department was first established in 1952 but merged with the Department of Art in 1964. With the introduction of the school system, the Printing Technology Department was reestablished under School of Art, Design and Printing Technology. In the early years of the Department, it offered day-release courses in the various areas on printing technology for the benefits of people involved in printing industries, publishing industries and other industries.
The examinations were conducted on those courses that led to the award of City and Guides Certificate from London. From 1953 to the sixties, the Department admitted and trained students for junior diploma and the certificate programmes. The Certificate courses were terminated and replaced by two-year National Diploma Certificate in 1977. Sequence to this was the approval of Higher National Diploma Programme in 1978. The first set of diplomats who had successfully completed the National Diploma courses pioneered the first set of students what were made to continue Higher National Diploma programme in 1979. In 1981, the first set of Higher National Diploma students graduated. Yaba College of Technology, the premier institution of higher learning in Nigeria, and the cradle of printing education has produced pillars in the printing industry and most of them occupied some top prominent positions in printing and publishing industries.